Journey To Excellence is the BSA's planning, performance, and recognition program designed to encourage and reward the success of scouting units.
To participate in this program, troops and crews must submit an annual scorecard showing their progress on a series of performance objectives.
TroopWebHost can help you gather the information needed for this report, and then produce both the report and the corresponding worksheet.
To prepare for this process, you first need to perform the following configuration steps:
- Authorize your Journey To Excellence coordinators for the "Recharter / JTE Coordinator" user role.
- Update your leadership positions to indicate the ones that represent committee members.
- Review other leadership positions to ensure they will be recognized correctly in the JTE process.
- Update your training positions to reflect JTE requirements.
These steps will be spelled out in detail on the following page.
Most of the Journey To Excellence statistics are based on the calendar year. So, for example, the 2019 Journey To Excellence report is based on your unit's
activities from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019.
The one exception is Objective 3, which uses your recharter data to track retention of members from one year to the next. For this section of the report to be produced,
you must use the Recharter Subsystem to track the members who were registered at the beginning of each charter year.
Which recharters will Journey To Excellence use? It depends on when your charter year ends.
If your unit's charter year ends on December 31: You will compare the registered membership at the beginning of this calendar year to the
registered membership at the beginning of the previous calendar year. So, for example, if you are producing the 2019 Journey To Excellence report you will compare
the registered members as of January 1, 2019, to the registered members as of January 1, 2018.
If your unit's charter year ends in any other month: You will compare the registered membership as of the recharter that occurred within this calendar year to
the registered membership from the previous recharter. So, for example, if you are producing the 2019 Journey to Excellence report and your charter year ends May 31, you will
compare the registered members as of June 1, 2019, to the registered members as of June 1, 2018.
In addition to entering the current and previous recharters, the Journey To Excellence reports require the following:
- Events during the year which satisfy JTE requirements are marked accordingly on the JTE tab of the Maintain Events page.
- Date of Birth is entered accurately for all scouts.
- The Date Joined Unit is entered accurately for all new scouts, including Cub Scouts who "crossed over" into the troop.
- From Cub Scout Pack is entered accurately for all Cub Scouts who "crossed over" into the troop.
- The Left Unit date is entered accurately for all scouts who leave the troop.
- All leadership changes are accurately entered into the Adult Leadership
and Scout Leadership pages.
- When adult leaders complete all of the required training for the scoutmaster, assistant scoutmaster or committee member positions, this must
be noted in their leadership records.
- When adult leaders complete a long term (5 days or more) advanced training course, that training is accurately entered into their training history.
- For scouts who complete NYLT or other JTE qualifying advanced training, that training is accurately entered into their
The Journey To Excellence statistics may be computed as often as needed to reflect the current information in the database.
You may then produce the final report as well as a supporting worksheet.